Performance Needs Assessment
This PNA, much like the Needs Assessment for ISD, was the most difficult of the assignments this semester. Once one has clearly identified the problem, along with the specific tasks to tackle, one can sail onward to design and development. With a solid Needs Assessment, the design of interventions is a breeze. Without clear direction, however, the rest of the project can wind up being a jumbled storm. So much rests on the case you make in the PNA. The PNA is your compass, and it is one that you will have to revisit time and time again throughout the development of a campaign.
Our Performance Needs Assessment was built up, then torn apart, and then built up once again. This happened more times than I care to count. When it came to the feedback, however, Michael and I persevered because kept in mind the wise words of Saul Carliner: “Get over it! Don’t get too attached to your stuff. It’s going to change, people will think portions need to be improved. Just get back in there and fix it!”
I cannot yet say that I feel comfortable with Needs Assessment. Due to a lack of experience, it isn’t always easy to know whether or not one is on the right track. Am I focusing on the root of the problem? Am I the only one seeing it this way? Am I missing some crucial element that is hovering just below my nose? These were just a few of the questions that came up while producing this assignment. I imagine, however, that all of this get easier as one develops as a designer.
So much fun. After having established clear and precise goals for the campaign, the rest of the project becomes a lot. At this point, you know where you are going; and there are many interesting and creative ways of getting there. This was definitely the most entertaining portion of the class. We could imagine setting up podcasts, making websites, writing stories, designing advertisements, creating social media groups, or any other intervention that could help us accomplish our main objective. It was really nice to throw ideas out there and discuss whether or not they would be effective, or whether they were realistically feasible to produce.
Making the road map, I got to play around with Illustrator, as well as see how nicely the visual lends itself to understanding the project as a whole. It was during this point, when I felt the most optimism and excitement for the project.
Having done the PNA, the Detailed Design was a smoother ride. We could really take the time to focus our attention once again; this time zeroing in on a single intervention. The F.A.Q. was fun to design and even more fun to develop. I realized, while developing the F.A.Q. that HTML, CSS, and JS, were not so scary and the experience has made me curious about learning the basics of web design. I have since begun taking a course on Codecademy in order to develop my skills in this area. Playing around in those CSS files was both a frustrating and entertaining experience.
The Detailed Design itself, however, once again asked for that meticulous revision and editing. Collaborating with someone was a huge boon. Using Google Docs, we were able to work together at any time, despite any distance, go into the document and leave notes, review each others’ work, and get constant feedback.